go away spammer

Author Topic: Question about the STK and ISP2  (Read 3583 times)

Offline HDL_CinC_DragonTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Question about the STK and ISP2
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »
In the $50 robot tutorial on the site it where it gives you the parts list, under the Optional Parts list it says "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer" and "AVR ISP2 Programmer". Are these BOTH required or is it one or the other?

Also, does the tutorial require all 3 battery types: "Enclosed 4 AA Battery Holder (with On/Off switch)", "9V Battery", and the "6v 2000mah NiMH Battery"? Or are those just 3 options for 1 thing?

Thanks in advance guys!
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Question about the STK and ISP2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
In the $50 robot tutorial on the site it where it gives you the parts list, under the Optional Parts list it says "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer" and "AVR ISP2 Programmer". Are these BOTH required or is it one or the other?
No you just need one. The cheaper one works, but has been causing people problems, including me. I recommend getting the more expensive one.

Also, does the tutorial require all 3 battery types: "Enclosed 4 AA Battery Holder (with On/Off switch)", "9V Battery", and the "6v 2000mah NiMH Battery"? Or are those just 3 options for 1 thing?
I guess its a little confusing . . . the electronics require a regulated 5V, and the servos require an unregulated between 4.5V and 6V. So this gives you two options:
1) Use 9V (regulated to 5V for electronics) and 4 AA (unregulated for servos)
2) Use only the 6V pack (regulated to 5V for electronics but unregulated for servos)

Offline HDL_CinC_DragonTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »
great! ok, Ill get the ISP2 one then, I plan on make A LOT more robots after this one =)

and for the batteries, if I just buy the 6v battery pack, will I have to modify the circuit or anything or is its design simply ready for whichever one you choose?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 03:38:06 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »
and for the batteries, if I just buy the 6v battery pack, will I have to modify the circuit or anything or is its design simply ready for whichever one you choose?
its all explained in the tutorial. if you copy it as is, then it will only work with the 6V pack.

Get Your Ad Here