Software > Software

What do you guys think of that General Learner program?

<< < (2/4) > >>

JesseWelling:
Animals (and Humans) have instincs...they don't learn everything. I don't buy the whole Learning from scratch idea partly because it's to slow to build effective AI. I think one of the most active areas of AI is the representation of knowledge. Once we have knowledge representation under controll (first order logic is hardly knowledge on a human scale in my book) then I think "learning ai" in a more human sense will apear. But untill then I believe we are going to have to keep telling AI what they can do and how they can learn in order for them to build specialized knowledge base to suit thier application.

Admin:

--- Quote ---because it's to slow to build effective AI
--- End quote ---
I agree . . . but all you need is one fully trained, then you can make instant copies of as many as you want . . . plus, unlike in biology, the chassis doesnt grow from scratch but instead is instant adult size.

an interesting paraphrased quote from an AI researcher I spoke with, "To program AI to solve a difficult problem, you need to solve 99% of it yourself." he is referring to the fact that the programmer solves/writes the algorithm, and the machine in the end just crunches numbers . . .

perhaps true AI is programming a robot that can reprogram itself (like humans do, when challenged) . . . but do we want that  :P

JesseWelling:

--- Quote ---an interesting paraphrased quote from an AI researcher I spoke with, "To program AI to solve a difficult problem, you need to solve 99% of it yourself." he is referring to the fact that the programmer solves/writes the algorithm, and the machine in the end just crunches numbers . . .
--- End quote ---

That's what I'm learning in my AI class....Sudoku is no cake walk...

Arislan:

--- Quote from: JesseWelling on November 06, 2006, 11:45:58 PM ---Animals (and Humans) have instincs...they don't learn everything.

--- End quote ---

Can we not program these instincts into robots? Instinct seems to me an easy enough thing. Hunger, fear, pain, thirst, pattern of walking, etc...

JesseWelling:
hunger of what? fear of what? And once we have these things how do we resolve them in a robot brain, when we don't exactly know how they are resloved in a human brain......

Seems like an over simplification to me.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version