Author Topic: Questionaire Survey about ...Robotics *Please help me by answering my Question  (Read 4049 times)

Offline PeterLovellTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0

HI my name is peter ive been a member for some time ,18 months ago i came down with Meningitis which left me deaf and no balance. Ive been trying to get a job as im ready to work again, but as soon as they see you are deaf they are not interested. So ive decided to work for myself manufacturing and selling Kit Robots and parts. But to do this im having to borrow money and to do that you have to do a business plan. I need information on you the people who enjoy robotics,like i do I would be really grate full if as many of you as possible would fill out the questionnaire by either repling to this topic or sending an email to me at  [email protected] .If you dont want to answer all the questions as they might be to personnel for you eg about INCOME please feel free to leave them and just answer what you are OK with and if you could ask your friend to do the questionnaire as well.

Q1. Name
Q2. Age
Q3. Sex
Q4. Location (Just Country and County)
Q5. Annual income.
Q6. Whats your average spend on your robotics in 1 month and 1 year
Q7. What were the last 4 items you purchased
Q8. Do you buy Kits (If so do you prefer RTR or in kit form)
Q9. Is there any thing that you would like to see available or improved
Q10. Do you think the prices you pay are OK or to high
Q11. If you wanted a kit but could not afford it would you be interested in buying it bit by bit but at the end you pay the same as the whole kit instead of more.
Q12. Any information you might think usefull
Could i just say thank you to the people who run this site for allowing me to post this and to you all for rading and answering my questions
Regard Peter

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
Zach
Male (I'm always tempted to say "lots" but I'm answering a questionnaire on a robot forum on Saturday night. It's not even worth the irony.)
Florida, USA
I can't even estimate my weekly income.
A couple hundred bucks per year would be about right. More than 200, less than 500. You can do the math on months and averages.
A halogen lamp, a relay, a toggle switch, and an off-brand PS3 controller. It may or may not have anything to do with robots, only time will tell.
I've never bought a robot kit. Ever.
Better documentation on MSP430 programming from linux.
They are reasonable. Between development costs and quality control I believe I'm getting a good deal.
Like I said, I don't buy kits. I also don't use layaway.
Solar panels are ridiculously inefficient. It's almost a joke how weak they are.

(just as a side note, only one guy runs the site. but that shouldn't matter too much since it seems to be a cookie cutter poll)
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Hi,

18 months ago i came down with Meningitis which left me deaf and no balance. Ive been trying to get a job as im ready to work again, but as soon as they see you are deaf they are not interested. So ive decided to work for myself manufacturing and selling Kit Robots and parts. But to do this im having to borrow money and to do that you have to do a business plan.
Yep, meningitis does that to many who gets it.
Were you asked about getting a Cochlear Implant?
Usually, you have to get it within a short time (best to get it like 1 to 2 month after the meningitis), since the cochlea ossifies (gets like bone instead of a hollow). Even so, you really should consult an audiologist and an MD, to see whether a C.I. could restore some of your hearing.
(If you need further info about it, feel free to drop me a PM).

Q1. Name
Søren (don't see how this will help your business plan).

Q2. Age
Past my teens... (Very past ;D)

Q3. Sex
Anytime, anyplace - it more or less our duty I think- (I'm European  ;))

Q4. Location (Just Country and County)
Denmark (county not applicable).

Q5. Annual income.
Too low (although some may disagree)

Q6. Whats your average spend on your robotics in 1 month and 1 year
Hard to say, as it depends on what I am about to make, but I usually buy more than my immediate needs (like eg. 500 microcontrollers when I need 2, to get lower prices and lower shipping per item. During the last year, my robot and electronics related expenses has been perhaps $5000,- (very loose guess, it's probably way more - don't tell my GF  ;D)

Q7. What were the last 4 items you purchased
A load of micros, a new logic analyzer, a mixed lot of stuff (small motors, Ni-Chrome wire, optical gratings etc.) and a USB development system (still unopened, never enough time).

Q8. Do you buy Kits (If so do you prefer RTR or in kit form)
No, the fun (for me) is in doing it all from the ground up.

Q9. Is there any thing that you would like to see available or improved
Common sense in business (often lacking) and true modularity, I guess a lot of people would like to be able to use some bit from kit A when building kit B

Q10. Do you think the prices you pay are OK or to high
It differs, but I usually hunt down the cheapest source - overinflated prices is a sure way to never see my business.

Q11. If you wanted a kit but could not afford it would you be interested in buying it bit by bit but at the end you pay the same as the whole kit instead of more.
I think that would be a hit and personally, I might get some parts from a kit to use in other builds, but don't start a service that you cannot keep up if get success, as that will take your time and a lot of "dead" storage (assuming the rest of the kit is on your shelves).

Q12. Any information you might think usefull
Start small with a couple of items that will give you an idea of the potential market. Do this without loaning (or with the smallest possible loan - family might help?). That way you can hit the bank with some info based on real business - some people might promise large orders until it's time to actually place them - real business is a better pointer.

Good luck with your business empire  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here