Author Topic: interesting/useful hackable toy  (Read 2185 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
interesting/useful hackable toy
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:17 AM »
I just heard about this hackable toy in my email today (see below for quote).

components useful for hacking:
tracked robot chassis
two channel remote control and receiver
two DC motors
two motor drivers
wireless camera
wireless microphone
LCD eyepiece to see what the camera sees

I hear its marked down to $25 at Target, making it an awesome buy. Otherwise, the next cheapest place I can find it is amazon.com for $67.81 (or $43.86, "best price").

I was at Target today and noticed they have the "Spy Video ATV-360" on sale for $25 marked down from $100. This is a dual-stick radio controlled tank drive unit that carries a B&W video camera and microphone. Video and sound are radioed back to the controller to which a monitor (on glasses frames) and an earpiece are attached. Uses 6 x AA batteries in tank and in controller.

Yep I bought one. Video quality is so-so and appears to be sensistive to IR. I cracked open the tank unit and inside are a couple of fairly beefy DC motors driving reduction gear sets. Motors (with noise caps) are driven by dual H-bridges created from TO-220 devices; can't tell if they are bipolar or MOSFET. There is a separate RF transmitter for the camera with a short internal antenna. I haven't cracked open the controller yet.

All-in-all a nice unit and seems pretty hackable. Thought the group would be interested.

And, yes, I will buy another one.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: interesting/useful hackable toy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:39:40 AM »
The real deal right there are the LCD eyepeices. Normal video goggles go for hundreds of dollars, but those eyepeices are cheap if you can find them. After removing a resistor on the inside you can connect any normal vido signal and it will appear on the eyepeice. Really useful and cheap.

data_list