Author Topic: Finding replacement screws for a RAD v1.0 robot  (Read 1944 times)

Offline caramellcubeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Finding replacement screws for a RAD v1.0 robot
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
Hi all,
hopefully this is the right place for this question, if not then apologies in advance. I'm trying to rebuild a RAD v1.0 robot, but somehow managed to lose a number of the original screws. None of the local suppliers sell anything like them and I'm not sure what to even search for online. Does anyone know if the screws used in the RAD series are a standard type, or something custom made for that robot? I have a few photos of the screws in question if that would help.

Oh, while I'm here, would this part of the forum be the best place to start a build log?

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Finding replacement screws for a RAD v1.0 robot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »
i am not familiar with that robot but if you can post some pictures I may be able to help determine if they are standard hardware.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »
Thanks, hopefully these photos should show enough detail, The diameter including thread seems to be 3mm.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »
 ;D Hello!
The screws look like wood screws, but the threading spacing is off. I recommend going online to:
https://www.fastenal.com/ -- They are an outlet that has about every construction item you could dream of.
If you find that another type screw would work, and is more available, it might be a good idea to
replace the insert in the device, to accommodate the new screw. Good Luck!!!

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »
these look like standard thread forming screws for plastics with a pan head and philips drive. it is hard to tell the exact size from your picture without accurate pitch and diameter measurements. if i had to guess i say it might be a #6-16 in .375" and .500" lengths (it could also be a metric screw its hard to tell without accurate measurements)

honestly if you only need a couple i would just take apart some junk electronics, these type of screws are very common for plastic enclosures. just make sure the thread pitch, diameter, and length match up.

note these have a flat tip where wood screws are pointed, you probably wont find these at a hardware store so you would likely need to order a whole box of them.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »
Thanks both for the advice, that should make it easier at least. If I find a good source I'll post back for future reference.

Get Your Ad Here