Author Topic: Fluidic Based Actuators  (Read 1936 times)

Offline joeedhTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Fluidic Based Actuators
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »
Hi all.  I'm a computer graphics engineer, and for years I've dreamed of building a small, compact robot with dozens (at least 24) of actuators (mostly for research).  Recently I've been trying fluidics out (with compressed air), and I was wondering if anyone else has ever done that.

The basic idea I had is to attach a mini solenoid valve (like from blood pressure monitors) to a fluidic valve.  The solenoid valve takes an air stream of, safe, 4-5 PSI, and uses the fluidic valve to amplify it to 20-30.  That then drives a pneumatic actuator.  I have a 3d printer, and I've managed to get a fluidic valve that seems to work (it works the way I want it too. . .but, not the way my books on fluidics say it should, heh), and I've ordered a little solenoid valve.

The fluidic valve, including the solenoid, works out to about 25mm x 55mm x 20mm tall, so about 1'' by 2'' by 1''.  I haven't decided what to do about the actuator yet (air muscles?  Disney's pneumatic rack and pinion setup? a pneumatic stepper motor?), but I'm planning to start with simple air muscles (because they are easy).

Anyway, thanks for any replies.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list