Author Topic: Robots vs China  (Read 4190 times)

Offline dcole07Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Robots vs China
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:23:31 PM »
I was watching a show about Chines works, it said they made $0.30 per hour.

To replace chines works with robots you would have to product a $10,000 robot that works 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 5 years. That would average out to $0.27 per hour.

I believe ASIMO costs $90 per hour...

Offline mpthompson

• Helpful? 0
    • OpenServo
Re: Robots vs China
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:20:14 AM »
I myself have often thought that a way to bring manufacturing back into the US is through robotics.  China's chief advantage is it's incredibly low cost of labor.  If you can lower the cost of unskilled manufacturing labor here in the US to the point where it might compete with China other issues such as cost of shipping, just in time manufacturing and geographic locality may become more important factors on where a factory is located.   Of course the main problem is that to build dexterity and general purpose AI into a robot that it is competitive with a person may take generations to achieve.

-Mike

Offline dcole07Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »
I think the best think the U.S. can do is become the managers of all companies, because it would be under minding to drive down labor costs like that.

Robots will take over the tasks once the Chines people figure out they could make more money per hour and get a better life.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
Keep in mind that China's government does not put many if any regulations on labor regulations, minium wage, and work environment saftey, here in the US we will always have to have a working environment that is approved by the govt ( our robots will always have to be inspected and maintained to code, and be built by higher regulated standards which = $$$$$)
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline mpthompson

• Helpful? 0
    • OpenServo
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 09:42:32 PM »
Keep in mind that China's government does not put many if any regulations on labor regulations, minium wage, and work environment saftey

Hopefully for the people of China that may someday change...

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »
I doubt it
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:49:35 PM by Brandon121233 »
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Get Your Ad Here

data_list