Author Topic: Robtics operating system?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline kolleammTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robtics operating system?
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
I need an operating system that will run only my apps for the robot. No toolbar or anything just the apps. It would seem impossible to build one given the complexity. What operating system should I use that would devote 99% of the CPU  processing to my apps? Thank you!

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Robtics operating system?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »
Which processor or processor family?
Which Apps?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Robtics operating system?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
Even if there is a graphical display, if you don't change anything, any operating system is unlikely to use much CPU for the GUI. The hungriest resource for rich GUIs is probably RAM, and perhaps battery power for the GPU if composited/accelerated.

I use Arch linux with LXDE for a similar requirement, on ARM computers and x86/64 computers. Arch takes a little bit of learning, but it allows you to completely configure the set of software running, so system resources are available for what you want to do. LXDE is not a composited/GPU-heavy desktop environment, so in that sense it's lightweight on system resources.

You can also use Ubuntu, or Mint, or Debian, in the server/headless configurations, and then separately install XOrg and LXDE to get a very similar setup. I think you can also do this on RedHat/Fedore and Gentoo and a bunch of other Linux distributions, but I'm less familiar with how those do package management.

That being said, if you want to run Windows 7, just switch the desktop settings to "basic" and you'll probably do fine there, too.

Get Your Ad Here