Author Topic: Novice Question on Robot Sensoring  (Read 1336 times)

Offline TomtheTATopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Novice Question on Robot Sensoring
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
Hello, first time robot builder here.

I want a robot that can follow a human. Right now I am planning to use an ultrasonic transmitter that will go on the user's belt. Two more transmitters will be on the robot. The robot's transmitters will send a signal to the user. The user will send a signal back giving the distance between them. Using this, I want to calculate the user's distance (obviously), speed, and acceleration. Is this a viable strategy for robot distance sensoring? In my research there seems to be a lot of different approaches, without one being the clearly superior choice.

Thank you.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Novice Question on Robot Sensoring
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »
hI,

[...] The robot's transmitters will send a signal to the user. The user will send a signal back giving the distance between them.
How do you plan to calculate the distance from that?

Using this, I want to calculate the user's distance (obviously), speed, and acceleration. Is this a viable strategy for robot distance sensoring?
Your first problem is to get reliable distance data, which I can't imagine how you hope to get from the above description and for speed and acceleration, you need more than just the distance between human and robot (and time), as you'd only get relative distance/speed/etc, without an absolute reference.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list