Author Topic: A choice between universities for graduation in robotics.  (Read 2439 times)

Offline yash25Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
    • The Workshop
A choice between universities for graduation in robotics.
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:26:25 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm aware that this topic has been discussed at least a dozen times here, and it's also found a place in the FAQs of Society of Robots, but I have a slightly different query to ask everyone here.

I have been accepted into the Robotics course at the University of Pennsylvania( The Grasp Labs:https://www.grasp.upenn.edu/) and also into the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor ( The EECS Systems Lab: http://www.eecs.umich.edu/systems/) .

Both these programs are very impressive and I really can't decide on one. Which of these programs would be a better option for a graduation in robotics?

Thanks!
Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them.

Offline smashing robots

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots
Re: A choice between universities for graduation in robotics.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:35:35 AM »
i read about some robots from University of Pennsylvania and i'm impressed about what they can do. If I had your option I choose Pennsylvania
You can read my articles about robots on www.intorobotics.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: A choice between universities for graduation in robotics.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »
Look at their course catalog for robotics stuff, and see how many classes you'd be able to take. Look up course websites from previous years.

Also, see how many labs they have, and find out the number of total people involved - this shows how many opportunities you'll have.

Judging entirely by the websites (which may or may not be updated or representative), it appears UPenn would be your better option. They have 2x the faculty and research projects going on. Their lab specializes in robotics, whereas at UMich it appears to be more controls oriented with a subset of robotics. On the UMich site, they have a picture of only two robots - one of them was actually built at CMU. And UPenn is only a ~2+ hour drive from CMU, giving you visiting/collaborative opportunities.

Get Your Ad Here