Author Topic: A few questions on the AVR ISP2 Programmer (Re: $50 robot)  (Read 1967 times)

Offline ErikYTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
A few questions on the AVR ISP2 Programmer (Re: $50 robot)
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
I am a bit confused here. I went through the tutorial in step 4, and downloaded all of the WinAVR and IDE.

I cannot tell if I need the AVR ISP2 Programmer or if I can use the WinAVR and the AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer to do the same thing?

The tutorial says it will be explained in step 4, but I don't see anything about the difference.

If I missed it, I apologize in advance for being dumb.

Also, it seems that all of the programs are for PC only, does anyone here use a Mac? At work I have a PC, but at home I have all Mac. I can do some of this at work, but would much rather do this at home.

Thx

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: A few questions on the AVR ISP2 Programmer (Re: $50 robot)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
Also, it seems that all of the programs are for PC only, does anyone here use a Mac?
Just use some sort of virtual machine software with Windows XP on Your Mac ;)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline ErikYTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
Yeah, thanks, that is what I will have to do, thanks!

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
Also, it seems that all of the programs are for PC only, does anyone here use a Mac? At work I have a PC, but at home I have all Mac. I can do some of this at work, but would much rather do this at home.

if you're not afraid of the command line and makefiles, avrdude was originally written for the Mac. I would think there's a port in MacPorts for the avr-gcc and avr-libc packages. If one of them don't have avrdude I'll bet there's a port for that too.

If you prefer a GJUI environment, ignore me :-)

Joe

Get Your Ad Here