Author Topic: ?Have some Wireless Questions?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline amakusaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
?Have some Wireless Questions?
« on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
Me again! has anyone used wireless within there robots to control a part of there bot? Ie., Had a wireless controller in the body that controls the hand or the arm instead of having wires running through the shoulder joint or whatever?
If you prick me, do I not bleed? Yeah Battery acid.

Offline h3ro

• Helpful? 0
Re: ?Have some Wireless Questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
You need wires for for power (or, there are ways to transfer electricity without wires, but you are better of with wires )

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »
yes but you could have sealed units- like a modular robot , but one module looks like and arm, one a leg, etc...OMG I just figure out how Voltron, And the power rangers Zords work!

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 02:08:38 PM »
While that may work for large robots, in general for hobby-sized robots, its far easier to just have one power supply, and run wires.

- Jon

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »
While that may work for large robots, in general for hobby-sized robots, its far easier to just have one power supply, and run wires.

- Jon

true, but even microbots use blue tooth to talk to each other, and most hobby bots are simply designed(not simply made though) without arms or legs

Offline creedcradle

• Helpful? 0
  • Physics Robotics
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »
For reliability reason, use cables...

Using wireless set up isn't that much realiable for the following reasons(case to case base applies):
1. RFI or EMI- surrounding signals may interfere it, other devices might be transmitting the signals on the same frequency and may also have the same wireless encryption

2. Power source cant be wireless, (though NASA is trying to figure out on this but not wireless, photo transfer i think but i dont know how it will be done)

cabled connection on the other hand might caused disadvantages like:  longer cable will cause voltage drop , so obvious because of the resistance

BUt in any case there is always a work around...  ;)
LEARN TO SHARE and SHARE TO LEARN!

Offline h3ro

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »
2. Power source cant be wireless, (though NASA is trying to figure out on this but not wireless, photo transfer i think but i dont know how it will be done)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

You can, but its not the most efficient thing in the world. Maybe in the future :)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
exactly- there is always a work around. Thats why I think if you made a self contained module- like system with the arm being a bot and the leg being another bot each with it's own pwr supply  and if you used bluetooth instead of 802.11 wireless it would be feasible, five bots working together...Lions GO!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

You can, but its not the most efficient thing in the world. Maybe in the future :)

yes I've seen that most common app is charging cell phones

Get Your Ad Here