Author Topic: 50$ robot- batteries heating up  (Read 4900 times)

Offline SciOlyStudentTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
50$ robot- batteries heating up
« on: November 27, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »
I have finished the circuit to the 50$ robot (finally) and am glad to say that when I plugged my batteries in, nothing sparked and no catastrophic explosions occurred, but I found that after having the batteries plugged in for no more than 20 seconds, the the batteries started heating up.  I checked the circuit and there was electricity running through the entire circuit, so it is not a matter of the leads coming from the batteries touching.  Is there a problem in the circuitry or is this a natural happening?  What really concerns me is the potential of leaving the batteries in too long and them blowing up...  Any help/explanations?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:20:42 PM by SciOlyStudent »

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: 50$ robot- batteries heating up
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
what battery?
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:18:53 PM »
probebly the batty used to run the servos and circut board :o
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
Sorry, I have 4 AA batteries that are going to power my circuit board and my servos and they heat up very quickly once they are plugged in... Will this disappear when I have everything plugged in (servos, sensors)?  I just need to know why the batteries may be heating up so quickly and how I can stop it.

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »
I'm not sure but it could be because nothing is using the outlets (sensors , servos) try plugging them in then  try it, also do the battery's run dead more quickly then usual
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:38:28 PM »
probebly the batty used to run the servos and circut board :o
you figure that all by yourself, or mommy told you?  :P

4AA getting hot in 20 seconds  :o

does the robot work? move, etc.

Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:49:45 PM »
Nope, I actually don't have it assembled yet :P.  I'll try again once I get everything programmed and the servos on... I did do a little test with the LED and it works fine, but on the other hand, that's only the LED...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 06:51:05 PM by SciOlyStudent »

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »
If your batteries are heating up like that you have a short somewhere on your board.  Try to carefully feel around on your board for a hot spot.  If you have a multimeter, check for a short or low resistance between VIN and ground.  Plugging in servos and sensors will not fix anything (they would just draw more current).

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:18:07 PM »
I just plugged in my batteries again to check for a short but the batteries got extremely hot so I was forced to unplug them... I felt on my board and could not find any heat (except for the wires connected to the batteries).  Is there any problem that may be occurring with the wires connected to the battery pack?  I do not own a multimeter, is there any other way (besides heat because I can't find any) to check for a short on my board? Thanks for all the replies! ;D

paulstreats

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:36:17 PM »
how do you have the voltage regulator connected?
Make sure that none of the 3 legs are shorted together, youll probably be best starting from close to the source. Does the voltage regulator heat up?

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »
The problem could very well be in your battery holder itself, but without a multimeter it will be difficult to find.  I suggest you head out to Radio Shack and get yourself one; you'll find it quite useful.  I further suggest you leave your circuit unpowered until you locate the problem.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
I further suggest you leave your circuit unpowered until you locate the problem.
Thanks for the safety warning, but I know not to leave the batteries in if they start getting to hot to touch...

Hey Thanks!!! ;D :D :) ;) 8)!!!  I looked at the pins on the regulator and found a small piece of copper sticking out from one of the rings I soldered on to and I found a current running through it!  Plugged in the batteries and no heat was generated, thanks again for all the help!!

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »
Hurray!

Get Your Ad Here