go away spammer

Author Topic: A better maze solver  (Read 3519 times)

Offline ArcManTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
A better maze solver
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:46:15 AM »
Reference the 3pi maze solver if you haven't seen it in action.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=4390.0

My annual workplace robotics competition is coming up.  The organizer just announced what the competition is for this year.  It's a maze that's exactly like the one shown in the video, except that it's bigger (longer runs between turns) and the track is painted plywood instead of "whiteboard".  Of course, the maze configuration will be unknown until the competition starts.

I'm a little disheartened because I can't see how one could beat the 3pi robot.  This competition is supposed to be about designing and building your own robot (but there's no rule that you have to - you can just buy it), but it's also about winning (there's prize money).  What's going to stop everyone from just going out and buying the 3pi robot and running those against each other?  (Note that it's not money that will stop anybody here).

I can't picture building my own robot that would beat the 3pi.  Can any of you?

Update: I have just come to the understanding that our competition maze is a "looping" maze, so the simple left-hand or right-hand maze solving method will not work (you can get into an endless loop).  Anyone know how to solve a "looping" maze?  What kind of hardware do I need for this?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:20:24 AM by ArcMan »

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
Re: A better maze solver
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »
Update: I have just come to the understanding that our competition maze is a "looping" maze, so the simple left-hand or right-hand maze solving method will not work (you can get into an endless loop).  Anyone know how to solve a "looping" maze?  What kind of hardware do I need for this?
The same hardware as a non-looping maze. It's a software problem. You have to remember the maze and in the software you have to detect, if you have been at an intersection before and try a new path.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list