Author Topic: 50$ robot breadboard or prototyping board?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline knightofarmorTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
50$ robot breadboard or prototyping board?
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Hi everyone.  I have ordered all the parts for the $50 robot and am waiting for them to come in the mail.  I still have not decided on the breadboard or the prototyping board.  Money is not an issue.  I do not have any soldering experience but don't think it would be too hard for me to learn.  So I am leaning towards the breadboard so I can re-use my parts and the board but would like some advice.  Thanks guys.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: 50$ robot breadboard or prototyping board?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:47:03 PM »
well, if you are seriously thinking about getting into robotics a breadboard is a good thing to have around but a $50 board that's all soldered up is also a good thing. get both boards if money is no problem. try building it on the breadboard first then try the proto board. and for soldering experience watch some how to vids. i recommend spakfun or curious inventor soldering tuts, they're easy to understand. 
Howdy

Offline HyperNerd

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 5
  • N3rd1n80r
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
When I first attempted to make a $50 robot, I had nothing but trouble with soldering the board (I ruined 3 boards because of my crappy iron), but recently I made the same circuit on a breadboard - worked like a charm!
I would still reccomend soldering, as it looks neater, and keeps the board size down.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Dont_Taz_Me_Bro

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:46:19 AM »
I found it to be a major pain in the behind to get the headers to stay in my breadboard.....maybe that means it is a piece of junk, but they kept popping out.

I'm switched to soldering and everything is going fine although it is a majjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjor pain soldering all the connecting wires on this tiny little board that the tutorial suggested.

I did also buy solid core wire.....is that a no-no? It sure is not trivial bending the tiny pieces of wire around and trying to solder them......

Time consuming....although I'm no pro at soldering and doing this

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:52:44 AM »
personally ive never worked with a breadboard.... $30 for a medium board? no thanks!
i would have to agree some of the jumpers on the board are a bitch to solder as it just gets plain annoying
whenever you keep the iron on too long and it melts the plastic....
but it is a really good board and only costs about $10 to make so every ones happy :D
Howdy

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:12 AM »
Look....
Buy both....
First do the 50$ robot on the breadboard.... and see who stuff work...
Then... copy the schematic from the breadboard to the protoboard and everything will be fine...
You will minimize the error factor...

I use breadboard when I don't know how a circuit works.... And I get most of my components for
extremely low prices and the time I want them (it's only a drive downtown...)
Also soldering isn't an issue...

Bread boards will give you more noise that the protoboards on the circuit...
But you will be use that the way you connect stuff is the right one....

So I vote for both...
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 05:32:23 AM »
if you can afford a breadboard i hear they are very good investments for testing out new circuits, i think it would beat using alligator clips ;D
as long as you follow the tutorial properly you wont really need to have it on a breadboard....
but as i said, its a good investment...
Howdy

Get Your Ad Here