go away spammer

Author Topic: 6 pin IDE cable?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Razor ConceptsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
6 pin IDE cable?
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »
Anyone know where to get the 6 pin IDE cable that is in the AVR ISP MKII? Mine wore out and I can't find a replacement.

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
Re: 6 pin IDE cable?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/972

this is the only source I found mine wore out too.  I haven't ordered one yet because I couldn't find anything else I wanted from them.  I made a cable from molex connectors and servo cable I had on hand (not from servos just the same stuff).

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
Ecros Technology also sells them.

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
Anyone know where to get the 6 pin IDE cable that is in the AVR ISP MKII? Mine wore out and I can't find a replacement.

I was wondering what you where talking about this "6 pin IDE cable". The correct name is 6 conductor ribbon or flat cable.
(IDE is the name of the interface standard for storage device).

I've read somewhere that if you open an AVR ISP MKII you will find a connector with 10 pins. It might be easier to source a 10 pin cable.

Offline Razor ConceptsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
I found the cheapest place to get it, $2 shipped here:
http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=17

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
I've read somewhere that if you open an AVR ISP MKII you will find a connector with 10 pins. It might be easier to source a 10 pin cable.

I've read that too but its incorrect do not try it.  The 10 pin connector is a JTAG header meant for programming the atmega128 found in the avrispmkII.  I fried my friend's atmega8, and I confirmed that the connector was JTAG by which pins were gnd.  You risk killing your avrispmkII and your usb port too.  When I made my mistake the ptc fuses inside the programmer thankfully tripped and prevented any damage, but I consider myself lucky.

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:40:51 PM »

I've read that too but its incorrect do not try it.  The 10 pin connector is a JTAG header meant for programming the atmega128 found in the avrispmkII.  I fried my friend's atmega8, and I confirmed that the connector was JTAG by which pins were gnd.  You risk killing your avrispmkII and your usb port too.  When I made my mistake the ptc fuses inside the programmer thankfully tripped and prevented any damage, but I consider myself lucky.

Thanks for the correction !

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »
If you are still looking for a replacement check out this post I made a while back.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=7588.msg58149#msg58149
Kurt

Get Your Ad Here