Author Topic: Where to find the stuff on this list? Please look  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Farmerboy08Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Where to find the stuff on this list? Please look
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
I need what household things to find these things in.  For example "you can find a LED in a cassette player" or "you can find a motor in a computer."  I do not a store name. It is ok if you only know of one thing on the list just post any info you have. Thanks.

Here is the list:

Solderable perforated boards
gearhead motors
4" wheels
6V 150 mAh batteries
one AA battery holder
LEDs
microcontroller (without A/Ds, D/As, UARTs
8 bidirectional lines
web cam
LPT
Resistors
sockets for each IC
male DB25 
74LS377
74LS05
DPDT PCB mount low-power relays
NEC UC-2 relays
resistor around 100 ohm
74LS377
TLC7524
2N3904
PCB-mount 40-100 kohm trimpot
cheap speaker
A/D converters
TLV571
2N4402 / 03
74LS154
Hall effect switch
+5V supply pin
fast switching diode
Sharp GP2D12
PNP Transistor
CD4066
electret microphones
four resistors
LM324
op-amps
four capacitorshex
inverter IC
output optocoupler
4N2732
photosensors
32x32 photosensors
alligator clips
74LS04 inverter
resistors
resistors Rx
NPN transistor
bilateral switch
74LS04 hex inverters
single resistor
D/A converters
MAX5407

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: Where to find the stuff on this list? Please look
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
not gonna happen, you'll have to buy some of these parts and the labor needed to remove a 1 cent resistor is too much - take you so long to get all these parts
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »
@Farmerboy08

Taking parts out of "household" things puts them out of commission. I don't suppose you want to kill your playstation because it's the only thing in the house that has that 1 cent resistor :)
Next take a look at your list, it looks like a list to build 1000 things. Make up your mind on what you want to build and see what you can do to make it cheaper.

Finally you need to realise you're making a prototype while "household things" are usually come off a production line. A "solderable perforated board" is a prototyping device, you will never find something like into any hosehold item! Sockets for IC's are also mostly prototyping related, on a production line it's cheaper to just solder things to the PCB - after all, they're not going to want to remove them ever! Moving further, because of the automated process used to make new stuff you're likely to find surface mount devices only! You want through-the-whole components, not surface mount. The microcontrollers you'll find will also likely be write-once components, not the flash-based components you want for prototyping.

Offline Farmerboy08Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
@Farmerboy08

Taking parts out of "household" things puts them out of commission. I don't suppose you want to kill your playstation because it's the only thing in the house that has that 1 cent resistor :)
Next take a look at your list, it looks like a list to build 1000 things. Make up your mind on what you want to build and see what you can do to make it cheaper.

Finally you need to realise you're making a prototype while "household things" are usually come off a production line. A "solderable perforated board" is a prototyping device, you will never find something like into any hosehold item! Sockets for IC's are also mostly prototyping related, on a production line it's cheaper to just solder things to the PCB - after all, they're not going to want to remove them ever! Moving further, because of the automated process used to make new stuff you're likely to find surface mount devices only! You want through-the-whole components, not surface mount. The microcontrollers you'll find will also likely be write-once components, not the flash-based components you want for prototyping.
Can you at least tell me where to the  big stuff like microcontrollers, web cam, motors, perferated boards. Also i have a large quantiy of broken elctronics a ps2, phones, 1/2 ton air contdtioners, radio. or you can tell me alternatives to the iteams on the list.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_parts_list.shtml

Just open up your broken electronics and take out anything good.

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:28:22 AM »
Can you at least tell me where to the  big stuff like microcontrollers, web cam, motors, perferated boards.
Like cosminprund said, you are not going to find perf boards in household items. It's pretty rare that you'll ever find a usable microcontroller.
Robots are awesome!

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
i'll tell you one thing you are not going to find a webcam in a 1/2 ton air conditioner
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
Farmerboy08, you're not doing this right. Select something that's not overly-ambitious, find lots of videos of it on YouTube, show them to your parents and I bet you'll get them to buy the parts. Put it this way: The $50 bot only costs about $50 and you get to learn a lot of stuff, and it's safe (you're only working with small-powered batteries, they can't hurt you unless you swallow them and I'm sure you're over 3 years old so you're safe). I'm an parent myself and I'd support my kid in doing something like this, especially if he put this much effort into it. On the other hand there would be some kind of punishment if he killed his psp to get 2 cents worth of parts.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots

Get Your Ad Here