Electronics > Electronics

waterproof wire connector

(1/4) > >>

Admin:
I am looking for miniature waterproof cable connectors for my open hull robot fish (water is allowed inside i.e. not a closed hull).

The problem I have is most waterproof connectors are designed for submarines . . . or at least for UUV's the size of a small car - meaning they are huge (1+ inches in diameter, and 2 inches in length).

I need something that isnt more than an inch in length maximum (male and female connectors combined), and no more than half an inch in thickness. At the moment I just need it for two wires (~22 gauge), carrying 2amps current each. I would be interested in waterproof connectors that are even smaller, with 3+ positions at much less current for another application, but havnt looked into that yet.

The ONLY manufacturer I have found for something I want is EDAC, offering these waterproof connectors:
http://www.edac.net/downloads/EDAC%20WATERPROOF_CATALOGUE.pdf

the 566 series is perfect, but alas, digikey is sold out . . .

anyone know of other companies offering either the EDAC connectors or some other connector?

Militoy:
You might try Conxall connectors - also available on Digi-Key. They're rated for IP67 service, and can be run submersed for long periods - especially if coated with silicone vacuum grease, or even RTV. Their smallest models are the Micro-Con-X line, with the Mini-Con-X and Multi-Con-X models having the same properties, only larger, higher current, and more contacts.

Admin:
they are a bit too long, and still a bit too wide, but small enough to at least fit in my robot . . .

since they are cheap ill order each type of the micro size and see what works best.

thanks!

Militoy:
I forgot to mention that they have an ultra-miniature line (smaller than the Micro-Con-X), made for sensors, encoders, etc. You might want to look those over, before settling on the Micro-Con's.

Admin:
so I went through the datasheets and it appears that the nano-mizer product fromConxall is what i want . . .

http://www.conxall.com/New_Products/npb551.pdf

so i tried emailing the company . . .
http://www.conxall.com/E-Mail/e-mail.html
three of the email addresses return a "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently" error . . .
the service address doesnt return an error, so maybe they will reply back, but I doubt it . . .  :-[

ok so enough with the ranting, I need some help . . . this is the email I sent:

--- Quote ---I am looking for the smallest waterproof mating connectors on offer.
Emphasis on smallest diameter and shortest length (after mating male
and female ends).

Two prong is preferred, but 3 prong is acceptable. It will be for DC
of no more than 8.5V, and no more than 2.2A current.

Sorting through your product sheets, it appears the nano-mizer product
is what I want. However, I am unclear on what mating attachments fit.

Can you please advise on which products (both the male and female
ends) would work best for me?

--- End quote ---

I am fusing the ends of a battery to one end, and want a quick battery disconnect that is water proof. The other end goes to my power supply circuit:

battery wires -> sheilded wire -> waterproof connector male end -> waterproof connector female end -> sheilded wire -> circuit board

the connector will be submersed, while the other parts will not.

looking at the datasheet, I think the part labled 'STRAIGHT FEMALE SINGLE ENDED
SNAP LOCK WITH LOCKING RING' will connect with 'STRAIGHT MALE SINGLE ENDED
SNAP LOCK.' is this correct? the threaded kind is out of the question, because total wire length will be only a little over a foot - making overtwisting an issue.

aquatic robots = hard to design  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version