Author Topic: Universal Platform Visual Basic  (Read 3803 times)

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Universal Platform Visual Basic
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »
Check it out: http://www.realsoftware.com/products/realbasic/

Runs and compiles on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Its basically VB and even offers a conversion tool to translate existing VB code to RealBASIC.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
Re: Universal Platform Visual Basic
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
thanks a ton man, I've been looking for something just like this for months! I finally broke free of mocrosofts shitty software, but couldnt find anything to develop VB programs in ubuntu.
--Cotowar--

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:34:10 AM »
thanks a ton man, I've been looking for something just like this for months! I finally broke free of mocrosofts shitty software, but couldnt find anything to develop VB programs in ubuntu.

ur welcome

tell me how it goes, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

www.Narobo.com

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:40:36 AM »
I've played around with the program you linked me to, and I have to say, its pretty cool, though its definitely not a TRUE VB editor. Its got 98% of the features of a windows IDE, and its very intuitive, but you can definitely tell there is something different about it. If you're any good at coding though, you can just hard code in the options they dont give you, like for instance font style etc...

The free key lasts 6 months, so if you could find a way to crack it open and reset the counter, it would be most helpful. This is slightly illegal, but to be honest, as long as you don't reproduce it and distribute, no one will care. I've found literally dozens of cracked licenses like that for various programs throughout the years.
--Cotowar--

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
There are cracked versions of Realbasic  on torrent sites.

Not that I'm suggesting you to download it....... :D

www.Narobo.com

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »
Aight, I'll check around. Haven't done torrents on Linux before though, and I'd rather not get in trouble for it.

Although I suppose I could argue that I am downloading free software anyways, so its not like it matters.

Oh, and I'm pretty pumped. My dad just brought me home Surfcam Velocity, and solidworks. Both are pretty expensive 3D CADD/CAM software.
 ;D
--Cotowar--

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »
Cotowar have you tried Sketchup? Its free and it even exports to .dwg files so then you can convert that for a CNC  ( I'm gonna try to do that next week)

www.Narobo.com

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
    • The Tech Stop
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
Surfcam does it all for me. Its a pretty high end commercial CAD program, I'm just using a copy from my dads work.

I spent all day learning how to use it today, and so far I've made a pretty wicked drawing of the helper robot I want to eventually make.
--Cotowar--

Offline lemontree

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
I am a slight advocate of FreeBasic:
http://www.freebasic.net/
You should also download the FBIDE editor.  It is of course free as the name says.
There are advantages and disadvantages to using it:
It is easy to use.
It is easy to write clear understandable code
It is easy to do graphics and get keyboard input.

The main problem is that it does not incorporate a worthwhile debugger.  That is quite some deficiency for a beginning programmer or even a well versed programmer!
There are more free programming languages on:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/
I don't think the list there is exhaustive.  I am sure there are many on SourceForge if I could figure out how to search SourceForge effectively.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:37:21 PM by lemontree »

Offline quinacia

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 12:08:32 AM »
I love basic. It was the first language I learned to program on my Timex/Sinclair, and, while it wasn't the first language I was paid to use (that was COBOL), I have spent most of my career (which started before many of you were born) coding  in various flavors of basic including every version of VB since 1.0 (except for 2.0 which I never even saw).

I don't program in basic anymore. I use php, java, c, progress (don't ask), and occasionally python, c++, perl, ruby, and even C# once.

If you are programming as a hobby, then use VB, freebasic, or any other language that you enjoy. If you intend to make a career of programming, then don't spend a lot of time on basic. It isn't that basic isn't a great language, it is, and it isn't that it is less capable than other languages (despite what fanatics will tell you, most languages can do most things equally well), it is just that basic doesn't pay as well, and it doesn't get as much respect in the IT world.

Go to monster and do a search for VB (or realbasic or freebasic) jobs, and then do a search for php or c or java.  You will find some VB, zero realbasic or freebasic, and a bunch of  the others.

If you are interested in hardware programming, then learn c. If you are interested in web programming, then learn php and mysql (and even javascript). If you are interested in business programming (which pays my rent), then learn sql, C#, java, php, and even VB.

Or... just realize that syntax is easy (and is in the manual), and you can probably program in any language you want if you have learned a few. . . but do learn a few.

Get Your Ad Here