Author Topic: Gear's Backpack  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Crazy InventorTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Gear's Backpack
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
So hello, I'm new here. I tend to be strait to the point. So...

I really want to build Gear's pack back from the tv show Static Shock. I know it's not impossible. I just want a crab-like robot that can follow you, climb your back (without harming you), and clamp itself. I don't want any scanners or anything flashy.

I've read some articles about some of the things I mentioned above. I read an article here about using IR or SONAR to have it follow you,and some articles on the web of robots that can climb walls.

Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

Here's a link to a small video I found from the show. Static Shock - I call him Backpack

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Gear's Backpack
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »
So hello, I'm new here.
Hi and welcome :)

I really want to build Gear's pack back from the tv show Static Shock. I know it's not impossible. I just want a crab-like robot that can follow you, climb your back (without harming you), and clamp itself. I don't want any scanners or anything flashy.
Such project would cost a lot of money and would require You to be skilled in disciplines such as electronic systems control, electromechanical systems design, programming and computer vision for embedded systems. Also, if You don't want to cut everything by hand, You have to know how to use CAD software and have access to CNC. In the anime video You provided it might look like a very simple robot, but in real life it would not be such.

I read an article here about using IR or SONAR to have it follow you,and some articles on the web of robots that can climb walls.
Having robot follow You using sonar or SharpIR is not very robust method. Don't get me wrong, it would follow You, but only as long as there wouldn't be any other objects in the way. Depending on the environment You want to use robot in, bare minimum for robust(ish) tracking/flowing is computer vision combined with sonar/SharpIR.
As for wall/human climbing - I did not come around any hobby hexapod robots that are capable of achieving that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance.
Before You waste loads of money and get frustrated to the point of insanity - start small. Hexapods performing simple task such as walking straight are not the easiest things to build; and as far as I understand, You don't have any experience in robot building. Start with something like $50 Robot, it will help You learn basics required to at least think about being a robot builder

Good luck :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here