Author Topic: Remote Controlled Wheelchair Motors  (Read 2702 times)

Offline doctorflashTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Remote Controlled Wheelchair Motors
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »
Hello, all. So, I have been working on a robot with two wheelchair motors recently. I am using this: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sabertooth2x25 motor controller. I took the circuit board with remote control receiver from a toy car and put it in a bread board with a transistor, allowing me to control one of the motors with the left/right joystick. I do not have the other motor set up because I'm not quite sure what will happen. I was hoping that the left and right would move the wheels different directions (differential steering), but not sure if it will happen. Please let me know if you need clarification to answer this since it's pretty hard to put in words. Thanks!

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Remote Controlled Wheelchair Motors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
You have a number of choices on how to setup the controller.
A typical control method (full size vehicles like bulldozers) use two sticks, one for each wheel. If your RC transmitter box has two joy sticks then this would be easy.

Another method with RC is to mix to left/right and up/down of a two axis joy stick. For instance, if the joy stick stays centered left/right then the forward/back movement controls the speed of both motors. If the joy stick is move to either side then one motor turns faster/slower than the other.

Check with RC stores for servo pulse mixing modules and study what they do.

Offline doctorflashTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
I would rather do the two axis joy stick. How would I connect the circuit board from the car to the motor controller?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
Same as you have it now but using two of the RC receiver channels to two H-bridge controllers for two motors. See Mode 2 in the Sabertooth document.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:15:53 PM by waltr »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list