Author Topic: Curiosity  (Read 1677 times)

Offline SoophanneTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • Yep
Curiosity
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
Heey guys,

my name is Sophie and a while ago I've started writing on mobile robotics. But as I am probably not as technically smart as most of you are, I will mostly focus on their value, what do they mean to us and only slightly touching on the technical aspects.

This week I've been occupying myself with the Mars Rovers, especially our latest friend Curiosity. It has always been our believe that there once was water on Mars, and now this has actually been confirmed by Curiosity. Not too long ago NASA published a report of all the robots' activities since its extraordinary landing (check the animated video of the landing if you haven't seen it yet, it's really impressive). Most of the rapport is on check-up procedures, but it also came up with a soil analysis. Although it is not freely accessible the Martian soil contains a significant amount of water (about 2%), as well as sulphur dioxide, carbon dioxide and oxygen.

But what more has Curiosity in store for us? She is the first time to survive on Mars for a longer period. But how much longer will she continue to help us searching for new insights?
Writing on mobile robotics *Link Removed*

Offline ubiqtus

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:22 AM »
Curiosity is running on nuclear power (using some of our precious and declining supply of Plutonium-238) and has a mission life span of about 2 years.  Though it could last up to six years depending on how well the batteries hold up. 

Everyone's looking for pictures of alien bones, artifacts, fossils.  I guess we'll settle for geological data and some epic pictures of red mountains and dried up river beds.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list