go away spammer

Author Topic: Help with board choice for 3d mapping application  (Read 1347 times)

Offline rdcmmnstTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Help with board choice for 3d mapping application
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
X
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:58:35 PM by rdcmmnst »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Help with board choice for 3d mapping application
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
Hi,

[...] The fastest travel speed is approximately 60 ft/min, which translates to a minimum of 100 Hz sampling rate (for the .125" accuracy) and the longest run will be 2,500 ft.
100Hz leaves you plenty of time!
Even a very cheap microcontroller is able to do 1MIPS, so in the 10ms you have per sample, there's room for at least 10'000 instructions.

My question is what micro controller/programming environment is going to he hefty enough to handle task but user friendly enough for novice programmers to develop this tool in a years time.
You really dont need hefty, but rather user friendly, easy to learn and with a large user base, making it easy to get help and code snippets.
I'd recommend an Arduino for its huge support by other users and if you feel a need for more horsepower, one of the 80MHz PIC based chipKIT's which are code- and interface compatible with Arduinos (Like an Arduino on steroids).

I was looking at this board for the gyro as it already has a kalman filter built in and seems to be rather user friendly.
This board alone could do what you want, by interfacing the encoder to it, but I have my doubt about its beginner friendliness. It might be worth a try though, if you're going to buy it anyway.
Alternatively, you could get the "raw" sensors - and probably save a bunch.

Would we be able to pair this with an encoder?
Yes.
Do you have a particular encoder in mind or...?
Getting an encoder with SPI or IIC interface would be a good idea if you want to interface it to the board directly.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline rdcmmnstTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Help with board choice for 3d mapping application
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
X
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:59:47 PM by rdcmmnst »

Get Your Ad Here