Author Topic: Lightweight program for Wireless Communication Via Cellular  (Read 1952 times)

Offline MastermimeTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Lightweight program for Wireless Communication Via Cellular
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
Hello,

I am building a robot and I'm trying something new.  For wireless communication, I am using two 4G LTE Pantech Cellular Modems connected to Beaglebone Blacks.  Video communication will be done via Skype, but I'm not sure about data (control commands) communications, being that its not really my field of study.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. 

It has to be lightweight and simple in order to get quick response time between the controller and robot.  Maybe it would be best to write a simple program?  I dont know.  As always, any advice is appreciated.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Lightweight program for Wireless Communication Via Cellular
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
If you run web servers on each BBB, you could use "wget" or "curl" to send requests using GET or POST commands between the boards. That would be totally fine for a command rate of, say, one command per second. You don't need to use something like Apache for your "web server," you could use Python with SimpleHTTPServer, or Node.js with its http server listener, and tie code to the responses.

Another option is to use SSH. You can ssh to the other machine, and issue commands using shell commands/scripting. You can even have a local shell script do input/output through a pipe to the remote ssh process. This can probably get to several commands per second, as long as the 4G network cooperates.

Finally, if you want high-capacity remote control, you want to use a protocol that you implement using some program. If you're OK with some commands perhaps mysteriously disappearing or arriving out-of-order, as long as most commands make it through as quickly as possible, then use UDP sockets to do this. If you need all commands to make it there, in order, then use TCP sockets. You can write those programs in Python, or Node.js, or C++, or any programming language you want, really.

Offline MastermimeTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Lightweight program for Wireless Communication Via Cellular
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
Alright this gives me a lot of great ideas.  I am fairly familiar with SSH so I might try implementing something along those lines and go from there. If it doesn't end up working out as planned then I can try the other alternatives!  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:30:28 PM by Mastermime »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list