Author Topic: Frankenbot: My new challenge  (Read 1672 times)

Offline mstachoTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Frankenbot: My new challenge
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
Ahoy,

here's my new challenge (ideas are welcome!)

I just got 50 random IC's, including PWM drivers, 555 timers, and some other really cool stuff.  The challenge is to build a robot with the following constraints:

1) Other than what I already own, the robot cannot cost more than $10
2) No microcontrollers/programmable anythings allowed (unless they can be built from scratch from the ICs)
3) Any salvage is alright, as long as it doesn't violate #2

So, does anyone have any thoughts? (If you do, toss in what type of logic might be required, and I'll see if I have the chip!)

I'm thinking a photovore, since it's simple enough to do with what I've got, but I think I should try to push myself for some kind of memory like behaviour.  I have quad D-Latches, so i can store...4 bits  ;D

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline Kylepowers

• Helpful? 1
Re: Frankenbot: My new challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
You could make the photovore, but to give a little spin on it have it check to see the strength of the light source it finds. Then have it light up LED's on its back a total of 5 would be good enough. One starting at red  and going to orange then yellow next light green and solid dark green. If it finds a light source at orange or less then it will go search for another stronger source of light. It would try to find the best "food" it can if not good enough it searches for another.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
ooh, interesting idea, and I do have some ADC's that might be useful there.  Right now I'm working through a basic photovore (rather, a photo-avoider), using only logic gates.  A sort of digital Braitenberg vehicle, I think it's called.  It's a lot of fun :-P

MIKE

Offline Kylepowers

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »
It would work really well. What is this challenge for class, contest, or fun?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
oh just for fun.  I got about 50 random IC's along with a whole bunch of other parts, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what I can do.  Also, my mother's school has asked me to come in and talk to the robotics club, so I guess that showing them a Frankenbot might be more fun than just showing them pictures of my robot hand (even though the hand is REALLY cool :-P)

MIKE

Offline Kylepowers

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »
ok hope this works for you.

I have a few other ideas but im wondering what kind of parts do you have? Let me know what other things you have like sensors and such. Other than what you have said before.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:02:34 AM by Kylepowers »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list