go away spammer

Author Topic: Problem with remote receiver battery drain...  (Read 6390 times)

Offline alphatunesTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Problem with remote receiver battery drain...
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
I have an off-the-shelf 12V remote and receiver combo.  Here's a vendor's pic and description -- not the exact model, but close enough:  http://www.dinodirect.com/315-433MHz-Wireless-Remote-Control-Switch-System-AK-RK02B-12-AK-SF02.html

I'm using the remote to open and close a Firgelli PQ12-S actuator.  Problem I have is that the receiver is always looking for the signal, and, therefore, always draining the battery.  I'm using the smallest 12V I can find (MN21/23), similar to what you use in a garage door opener.

How do I prevent the battery from being drained?  I'm new to this, so this is causing me problems.  I'm wondering, is there another type of remote I should be using? 

My goal is to be able to press a button on a remote and cause an actuator to open and close without running through a million batteries every five minutes.  Is this so much to ask?

Thanks in advance!   ???

Offline vinniewryan

• Helpful? 2
Re: Problem with remote receiver battery drain...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
hmm, this could get slightly complicated for a beginner. You need to set up a circuit that controls the power to the rf device at timed intervals to only 'listen' for an incoming signal once every second/X, and to stay on when a signal is heard. This would be very easy with a PIC and some code. Otherwise you'll need an oscillator that charges and discharges a capacitor, and during each discharge will hold a transistors base to allow power to the RF circuit, then a seperate capacitor that is charged by the relay when a signal is received, that will hold the transistor on for as long as needed for the motor to do its job.

Does any of that make sense?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
Problem I have is that the receiver is always looking for the signal, and, therefore, always draining the battery.  I'm using the smallest 12V I can find (MN21/23), similar to what you use in a garage door opener.
Is this battery also powering the relay and actuator?
If so that could drain the battery faster than the RF receiver.
If not then why use the battery? Just power the receiver from the same power source as the relay and actuator.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
Hi,

I'm using the remote to open and close a Firgelli PQ12-S actuator.  Problem I have is that the receiver is always looking for the signal, and, therefore, always draining the battery.  I'm using the smallest 12V I can find (MN21/23), similar to what you use in a garage door opener.

How do I prevent the battery from being drained?  I'm new to this, so this is causing me problems.  I'm wondering, is there another type of remote I should be using? 
There's another battery you should be using.

My goal is to be able to press a button on a remote and cause an actuator to open and close without running through a million batteries every five minutes.  Is this so much to ask?
Yes, that's a pretty tall order for a battery with an Ri of 22 Ohm to run an actuator that takes up to more than 200mA - it's a miracle that it runs it at all, a MN21 is supposed to be drained at around 1mA max.

Find a decent battery for this, while MN21 may be described as a remote control battery, it's for the transmitter side and not expected to do any work - after all, it's nothing more than 8 button cells in a wrap.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline alphatunesTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »
Hello Vinnie, Waltr, and Soeren,

Sorry about the delay in response.  Thank you for the advice.  Very helpful.  I have brought in someone who is more knowledgeable than I am to help out, and I'll pass along the info you have provided.  Again, thanks!

Get Your Ad Here