Author Topic: Disc slotted rotary encoder  (Read 3508 times)

Offline anh_risnTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Disc slotted rotary encoder
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me where I can get disc slotted rotary encoder? I just searched on the net but still didn't find yet.
I just need to buy this slotted disc rotary encoder, and put it together with the phototransistor to read motor data.

Also, I am planning to put rotary encoder, I found from Hengstler RI58-D encoder
http://www.hengstler.com/gfx/file/shop/encoder/encoder_iiih_ri_58-d_en.pdf
Can I use as a wheel position sensor? The wheel rotate slowly but I need accurate data.
Also, the encoder has several type output, RS-422 and push-pull, it also has channel A, B, N.
What it's mean? Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:57:11 PM by anh_risn »

Offline kl22

• Helpful? 2
Re: Disc slotted rotary encoder
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:34:57 AM »

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:22:26 AM »
Older PC Mice used a slotted disc and photo-interrupter. You may be able to salvage the parts for your needs.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:11:07 AM »
Older PC Mice used a slotted disc and photo-interrupter. You may be able to salvage the parts for your needs.

the problem with that is that he would need to do allot of modification to make sure that he can attach the wheel to his drive system. a hot glue gun is recommended! if the speed is relatively fast i might recommend that a free method might be to use a hard drive motor. they make very good encoders as i have tested but only at higher speeds

Using Hard Drive Motor to Make Pretty LEDs Blink (aka rotory encoder with an op amp)
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get disc slotted rotary encoder? I just searched on the net but still didn't find yet.
There is a number of encoder printing programs (and at least one.eps file for the sam purpose) floating around the net.
If you print one of these and glue it to a thin piece of aluminum plate, you can cut it out yourself.

You might be able to position the IR TX/RX well enough to use a coarse gear wheel as well.

If you take a stepper motor or a synchronous (mains) motor apart you should find a "comb wheel" that can be used either with IR or with a Hall sensor.

How many segments/holes do you need?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here