Author Topic: Testing Programming Skills  (Read 2178 times)

Offline CommanderbobTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
  • Embeddedmicro.com
    • Embedded Micro
Testing Programming Skills
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »
I need to come up with a problem that tests a person ability to think like a programming. The problem should have multiple solutions, some more obvious but others more efficient/better in some way. I would like the problem to require that the person writes some pseudo code to explain how they would do something.

This problem is to help find a new programmer for our FIRST robotics team and I figured this form was a good place to ask.

Any ideas on a challenge that would be good to weed out the logical thinkers? Any problems that you've faced while building robots that you found to be difficult?

Thanks,
Justin

Offline futurrobotech

• Helpful? 0
Re: Testing Programming Skills
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »
hmmm... I've never really programmed robots so im not sure about actual making it apply but i know when i was learning c++ i would search c++ programming challenges on google and it came up with a lot of great stuff

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: Testing Programming Skills
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »
Ask them to write a quine (a program that prints its source when it runs), or a navigation function.  Judge by looking at efficiency of code.  Also try a timed algorithmic challenge (sorting?)

data_list