Author Topic: 12v trickle charger for a 6v battery?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline RICEKING212Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
12v trickle charger for a 6v battery?
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
Noob Question: I have a trickle charger with an output of 12v although it says it can be used for 6v to 9.6v batteries. I'm going to get a 6v rechargable battery and I'm just wondering if the 12v trickle charger will work without frying my battery. In the $50 robot tutorial, it said to use a trickle charger with an output of 6v for a 6v battery. I'm a little confused.
Thanks

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: 12v trickle charger for a 6v battery?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
if you plug in a 6v battery does it output a steady 6v or 12v? 12v will probably stuff it... but you could use a regulator easy, normally you charge with a few volts above the target, ie. 7-8v... but its not required.
Howdy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »
Well if I need to aim a few volts above my taregt, I also have a smart charger that is made to charge 7.2v to 12v batteries. Will that work better?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
nope, smart chargers are what their name implies, smart...
they know the batteries voltage, it would not work well... if you have a spare 7-8v wall wart that could work too.
Howdy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
I guess I'll either find a 6v or 7v charger or just find a 6v or 7v regulator then

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
just beware, because regulators use up the excess energy as heat, they are extremely wasteful!
but it doesn't matter too much if its coming from a wall wart.
a regulator would be good for this purpose. just make sure its not pumping too much current into the batteries or bad things will happen ;D
Howdy

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
if you plug in a 6v battery does it output a steady 6v or 12v? 12v will probably stuff it... but you could use a regulator easy, normally you charge with a few volts above the target, ie. 7-8v... but its not required.
Well considering a fully charged battery is normally at a higher voltage than what it is rated if you want to fully charge a battery I'm pretty sure it is required to have a voltage higher than 6v to charge a 6v battery. If you are just beginning it's probably best to buy a ready made charger that is designed to work with your batteries. Improper charging of batteries can cause a fire or even your batteries to explode!

Get Your Ad Here