Author Topic: Robotics Grad School Prep for ME  (Read 1663 times)

Offline husdatTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robotics Grad School Prep for ME
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
Hello,
I am a BSME (Mechatronics concentration), and got ~1 year programming automation system in PLC and C#, plus like 4-5 projects back in college written in C for microcontrollers.  I really want to get into grad school for robotics. 

My problem:
Many robotics grad schools have robotics under Computer Engineering or Computer Science.  How can I prepare myself to apply for a PhD in robotics from where I stand now???  Is my chance next to tiny?  Feel free to criticize / vent / suggest.  I take truth at face value.  Thank you.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Robotics Grad School Prep for ME
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »
In robotics, because there are so many different disciplines interacting, a good robotics program will recognize that different specialties are a good thing. If a department is full of only CS people, then it's going to have a real problem getting their robots to function effectively, for example.
You could contact the heads of the PhD programs at each department, and ask them how they see a mechatronics grad fit into their program, and ask what advice they have. I think taking this kind of initiative would look good for you, too.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list