Author Topic: male header jumper - looks like a staple?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
male header jumper - looks like a staple?
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »
I'm looking for a jumper for male headers that resembles something like a staple. The problem with the normal jumpers, something like this, is that they use the header and I can't use it for something else.

Anyone Know what its called, if anyone makes them, or where to buy them?

I need a few hundred of them, so I'd rather not make them myself if I can avoid it!

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: male header jumper - looks like a staple?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »
I have got some of those in the breadboard jumper wire kits. A bare wire that is bent to a .1" width.

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »
I've seen some that are X-shaped when installed. The center of the X sits between pins, the "legs" of the X are under tension and squeeze the pin. No plastic, just a thin metal. The legs are not perfectly straight, like in the letter X, but are slightly curved toward each other. When not in place on pins, it looks like a very skinny "8".

Ive seen these on equipment, but I've never stumbled upon them from a manufacturer. I just tried looking for you, but came up empty.

That doesn't help you directly, but at least it is another style to look for.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:01:58 PM »
Well, at least I now know they exist! :)

I just need to find what they are called, and/or where to buy them in bulk . . .

Can you guys upload a pic of what you have? That way I can forward it around to see if anyone knows.

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
Well, at least I now know they exist! :)

I just need to find what they are called, and/or where to buy them in bulk . . .

Can you guys upload a pic of what you have? That way I can forward it around to see if anyone knows.

I don't have a pic, or any equipment that I can photograph. It was quite a few years ago and on some older telecom equipment (leased-line modems). Unfortunately I didn't get any of the spares.

They were good three or four times. Not really meant to be used repeatedly.

I don't have any tech info. I can, however, entertain you with a crude drawing.

paulstreats

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »
They are also known as shorters, shorting connectors, shorting jumpers, shorting clips etc... (they are designed to short 2 pins together).

it might also be worth looking at "open top" mini jumper  http://www.twinner.com.tw/SearchProduct/ProductContext.php?Product_SN=29508 These still leave some of the header pin protruding.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »
They are also known as shorters, shorting connectors, shorting jumpers, shorting clips etc... (they are designed to short 2 pins together).
Hmmmmm mouser didn't have any of those names, and digikey just brought up regular jumpers. :-\
Also found another name, 'shunts'.

it might also be worth looking at "open top" mini jumper  http://www.twinner.com.tw/SearchProduct/ProductContext.php?Product_SN=29508 These still leave some of the header pin protruding.
Needs enough so that a servo header can still plug in.

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
Hmmmmm mouser didn't have any of those names, and digikey just brought up regular jumpers. :-\
Also found another name, 'shunts'.

it might also be worth looking at "open top" mini jumper  http://www.twinner.com.tw/SearchProduct/ProductContext.php?Product_SN=29508 These still leave some of the header pin protruding.
Needs enough so that a servo header can still plug in.

You might have to use paul's half-height shunts and longer pins on your header.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
Hi,

Did you consider using shunt pads (the ones where you add or remove a small solder blob to what might look like a single pad with a hairline of missing copper through it)?
They are free and wont take up room on the pins. And as long as you don't have to change them out of the lab, they are just as good as the ones you want (and the latter would probably take some eye-hand coordination and perhaps a tool to add/remove).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list