Author Topic: Track or whell  (Read 1740 times)

Offline pacman411Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Track or whell
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »
Hello All

I am starting work on my first robot. I am starting with the platform right need I am torned between using a 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel sterring or using a track system. Since some of user in this forum have built many robot what are the pro and con of each? Any help will be welcome.

Paul

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Track or whell
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:30:44 AM »
Normally (depending on how You make it), track system offers more contact surface, hence less slippage (or that would be the case for some big heavy robot), if it's a small one You're building, slippage won't be very different. Which system do You prefer Yourself?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Track or whell
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »
How big is this? For mini-Sumo, tracks are fine. For two-foot-sized robots, tracks are a PITA. On the other hand, four-wheel steering is also a PITA; two-wheel steering is much easier.

The Dagu Wild Thumper comes in four-wheel and six-wheel versions, and uses "tank steering" with wheels -- it breaks the wheels on the side it wants to turn towards. It "works" as long as the surface you're driving on isn't too grabby. Dirt is great; anti-skid carpet, not so much.

Get Your Ad Here