go away spammer

Author Topic: Microcontroller: Build or Buy?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline ParthTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Microcontroller: Build or Buy?
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:41 PM »
Hi all! I just have a quick question. I'm hoping to become a robotics engineer and I've been getting into robot building. So, should I stick with the microcontroller that is used in the $50 robot or just buy a microcontroller for my future robots? Thanks in advance!

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
Re: Microcontroller: Build or Buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »
If you decide to build the board you will end up learning more, but you may get overly frustrated too.  I would recommend buying a board because of my experience with the $50 robot.  I built the board twice, and couldn't make it work (I probably fried something).  I ended up just buying an arduino diecimila and love it.

If you have a desire to build the board though you should go for it.  You will learn more and have a greater appreciation if you can make one yourself.  Thats how I felt.  I just screwed mine up and bought a board to end my frustration lol.

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Oh and if you're going to be a robotics engineer you should know it's called an augmented microcontroller, not just a microcontroller.
A microcontroller is just the IC.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

paulstreats

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
I disagree.

I think that buiding and understanding the augmented microcontroller for the $50 robot is a valuable lesson.

I would say that it will give you a better knowledge and understanding of the concepts and allow you to adapt and expand upon the basics.

As a future producer of commercial robotics boards, i dont want to put you off from buying them its just that i think that it can help you understand what you want from an augmented mcu.

Offline ParthTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
Thanks you guys! I'll try to make it myself and hopefully, it'll work. BTW, I guess I should have been more specific by saying it was an augmented microcontroller, but I'm just too used to calling it a microcontroller. Once again, thanks for the help!

Get Your Ad Here