go away spammer

Author Topic: Pot head problems.  (Read 6568 times)

Offline NOOBinDistressTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Pot head problems.
« on: June 03, 2007, 09:14:10 AM »
It says in the 50 buck tutorial  that once I find the pot head I should plug it into my microcontroler and then send a 0 signal?  Idk know how to do that? Do I have to put the photovore software on first? Please help. THanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Pot head problems.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 09:26:43 AM »
hmmmm good point, forgot that this would be a problem for some people for the $50 robot . . .

Download this .hex file and upload it to your ATmega8

You dont need to compile anything, as I already did that for you.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/downloads/hold_servo.hex

This program will tell the microcontroller to send a signal at 1.5ms, the signal your servos should recieve to hold at the zero position.

(note that I didnt test this code on my robot, so let me know if it works or not)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
THanks. So I have to load this up onto my microcontroller and then do it? Also this may be another problem please read the post above. Thanks.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:49:58 AM »
SO how exactly do I load it onto my microcontroler once I plug it in? Do I have to do something in Avr? Please if you have time give me step by step instructions. ;D Thanks.

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 10:20:34 AM »
lol dude I already did that for the photovore program do I just do the same thing with the new source code????

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »
So what are you trying to do exactly?

I am a bit confused -

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:32 AM »
I am  trying to set the servos to 0 degrees. I have to upload the file from admin on to the board. I need stetp by step instructoins. Thanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »
Scroll down to where it says "Now we need to upload the .hex file you just compiled to the microcontroller" (about halfway)

Those are the step-by-step instructions.

What programmer are you using?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 11:42:29 AM »
I guess I am using Pony Prog if I can get it to work lol.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »
I just got the more expensive programmer today.. I 4get  how to plug in the thing u just gave  me.. I will try and look back @ the tutorial and figure it out!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »
Ok so @ which part do I copy and paste this link:http://www.societyofrobots.com/downloads/hold_servo.hex with all the numbers in it?
Am I supposed to copy and paste??? you tell me to download it but when I click on it its just a bunch of numbers and stuff...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:25:37 PM by NOOBinDistress »

Offline ribs

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
If you are just seeing a bunch of numbers in your web browser you can "file->save page as" and save it as "hold_servo.hex", or you can right click on the link itself and select "save as" as "hold_servo.hex".

Then you can load it into AVR Studio.  And if you have the more expensive programmer now you can connect directly from AVR Studio - the relevant button to connect is shown in this picture in the tutorial, and the one next to it to upload.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
Ok I save the link and then where do I paste it??? which part in the programing tutorial? thanks.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »
OK...... Lets see so I have the 34 buck programmer and am still struggling with the servos! Please tell me exactly how to get them to zero I need to plug in that thing you made to the microcontroller and then plug it into the servos I have no clue how to do this and I have read over the tutorial like ten times and am still stuck :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  PLEASE HELP. thanks.

Offline ribs

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »
OK - I'm not the best person to answer this (my first upload from a computer to a microcontroller was exactly yesterday, after much poring over the in-program help).  BTW, if you haven't yet, you should read the AVR Studio online help; it's pretty nice actually.  But in any case:

You save the file to that hold_servo.hex file as described before.

Start up AVR Studio.

Open file, and pick the hex file that you saved.  I think at this point you see the program and it's english translation in the disassembler.

Plug your two servos into the ground/power/control pin triplets for PD0 and PD1 as described in the tutorial.

Plug the programmer into the computer's USB port and the other end onto the 3x2 header you made on your board

Plug the batteries into your robot.

Connect to the robot from AVR studio by pushing the button (and it's also in one of the menus at the top) shown here: http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/sbs_connect_AVR.png

And then there should be another button to actually program the microcontroller from there (I can check when I get home tonight), but it should be pretty obvious.

Write to Flash.

When it's done you unplug the batteries, then unplug the the programmer.  Then you plug the batteries back into the board and your servos snap to zero.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »
ummmmhhh ok... I have scanned over your instructions...and I am very glad you helped I think I pretty much understand what you are saying.. It is getting late and I am tired so I have decided to try it tommorow afternoon when I come home... Your instructions seem very clear and the help is very much appreciated!!!!!!!

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:16:12 PM »
Guys I had the same problem. Ok after I upload the file to my microcontroller? How? Is it supposed to be on the component board with the circuit already done. Or just how it comes in the bag? Ok the microcontroller came and the programmer came. THen I put the file to my programmer then how do I put it into my microconroller if it's just separate and not connected to anything yet?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 09:33:37 PM »
Ummmm the instructions are all step by step. Which step are you stuck at?

Get Your Ad Here