go away spammer

Author Topic: LED  (Read 2664 times)

Offline nanob0tTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
LED
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »
Alright, I got a bunch of 5mm or T1 3/4 LEDs.  They need a max of 5volts at 30 or so mA. 

I want to make a circuit to put in something.  AA batteries run at 1.5 volts... A little more most likely.  I am wondering what I need to make this circuit work.  I already blew one up hooking them to batteries.  I understand I need 100 ohm or so resistors, but my dad said I didn't...  So, I'm looking for more advice.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
Re: LED
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
You said that you wanted to make a circuit to put into something, what exactly do you mean by that? What do you want the circuit to do? If all your looking to do is make the LED turn on then yes you will need a resistor in there somewhere. To make it easier on you use this LED value calculator http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz just enter the voltage your supplying it with the AA's, and the values for voltage and current on the package the LED's came in, and it will calculate what value of resistor you will need. Hope that helped you, and if you want any circuits that make the LED do stuff like blink- just ask.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline nanob0tTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Cool, much thanks.  Yes, I just wanted it to turn on... Now I just need to find a single pole switch.   

It was just a dispute between my dad and I.  I knew it needed a resistor, but he wanted me to try without.  That didn't come out too well   ;D

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:04 AM »
hey,
you might find this interesting:
http://www.instructables.com/id/E9NFEFO2ZGEV2Z9QKZ/?ALLSTEPS

dunk.

Get Your Ad Here