Author Topic: Programming help or suggestions  (Read 1675 times)

Offline mblackwolfTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Programming help or suggestions
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on good sources or books to learn coding for robotics. I recently graduated as a mechanical and aerospace engineer. That being said I understand the mechanical aspects of a robot very well. I also understand the use of sensors and how they work on a general level (i.e. accelerometers, strain gauges etc…). I learned basic C++ in one of my classes in college but with no practical applications other than writing simple programs that would balance a check book and such.  The only real lab experience we had was writing simple PID controllers using Labview along with a national instrument DAQ device. This is by no means complicated enough to program robotic systems. I have recently become interested  in robotics and thinking of going to grad school for it. I want to do some projects as a hobby until then. I was wondering if anyone can give me some recommended books or sources for learning programming applied to robots. Along with info on the circuitry and boards used as well as extracting information from sensors like cameras. Most of the sensors I used were just simple voltage outputs that could be converted over but I am not even sure with things like vision systems how you would access the coded image file where you could retrieve the matrix of pixels vs. just opening and seeing the image file. Thanks for any advice!

Offline georgeecollins

• Helpful? 3
    • Backyard Robots
Re: Programming help or suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
This is often cited as a reference for motion planning for robots:
http://planning.cs.uiuc.edu/

I also think you can learn a lot about robot programming from looking at the code libraries available for Willow Garage's ROS, and examples for the Axon.