go away spammer

Author Topic: Micro controller  (Read 1945 times)

Offline rockroboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Micro controller
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
Is the ATmega8-16PU AVR 8 bit Microcontroller the same as the ATmega8 AVR?  I was looking at it^on Ebay and I found that.  I just don't get what the -16PU part is for.  But I get that sinse it sais 8 bits than It obvoiusly means it can hold 8 bits right?  Please tell me if the one I found on ebay will work for the $50 robot microcontroller!  Thanks!
Rock Robotics

Technology of the Future!

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
Re: Micro controller
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »
It should be good. -PU is the packaging, in this case 28 PDIP, the one that can easily be used with a proto-board.
16 is probably the max frequency in MHz

Regarding the 8bits, roughly speaking it means that the MCU can manipulate 8 bits data / instruction. Like perform
an addition of two 8bits numbers in one instruction. You don't have to worry about this, all atemga8 are 8bits as well as
most MCU people are using here (like the one on the Axon for instance).

Chelmi.

Offline Pratheek

• Contest Winner
  • Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
    • Probots
Re: Micro controller
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:50:20 AM »
Atmega8L has a maximum frequency of 8 Mhz, and can operate with an input voltage between 2.7v and 5.5V while the Atmega8 - 16PU has a maximum operating frequency of 16Mhz and an operating voltage of 4.5V to 5.5V. Both are pin compatible with each other and anyone can be used for the $50 robot.

By the way, Atmel has replaced both of these microcontrollers by the new Atmega8A, which operates between a much wider input voltage.

You can use any one - Atmega8L, Atmega8 - 16PU or the Atmega8A for the $50 robot.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list