Author Topic: AVR Fuse issues (Internal/External Clocks  (Read 1630 times)

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
AVR Fuse issues (Internal/External Clocks
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »
Ok I'm a noob to AVRs and I'm trying to learn them. First thanks to Admin your tutorials are great even thought I already know other MCUs I don't get the feeling it is to low level for me.

I was changing the fuses for the clock. I changed it to External 8 mhz instead of internal. Now I can't talk to it anymore. I don't want to have to wait on this project till I can get some crystals ordered. Is there a way to change the fuse back or something? I don't have a frequency generator that goes above 200 kHz. Can I use that to at least talk to the chip?
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
Re: AVR Fuse issues (Internal/External Clocks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
Do you have something else you can steal a clock from? If you "know other MCUs" do you have a development board that is running a PIC, Freescale, 8051 -whatever- that you can steal the clock source? You could potentially use a temporary jumper from another board, or steal a crystal to clock your AVR to get the settings fixed.

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
Well I forgot about the electronics lab. My department doesn't have anything but we have a fully equiped electronics lab in the building next door. So I went over there and "borrowed" a 8 Mhz crystal :) Sometimes working for a college has its perks. Now if I can convince them to give me access to the equipment over there on a regular basis.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
Just for future ref, you can use another mcu or anything that can do as low as 125KHz.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list