Author Topic: robot arm motors.  (Read 2254 times)

Offline snoozaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
robot arm motors.
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
in the robots such as wakamura and asimo what motors do they use in the arms. because i need a motor or servo strong enough that the robot would be able to pick up something with out the motor snapping. for example maybe the weight of a shopping bag. but i need it to be cheap. as i am on budget.
please help
thanks in advance
-snooza ??? ;)

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: robot arm motors.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »
They should use some kind of precision gearmotor with encoders. Unfortunately to get the same level of performance you will have to pay big time... they aren't very cheap

Offline nottoooily

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »
Windscreen wiper, power window or power antenna motors! It's amazing how they're already made in a form that's ideal for lots of things.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
Windscreen wiper, power window or power antenna motors! It's amazing how they're already made in a form that's ideal for lots of things.

i've never made a robot arm but i've experimented in my HAL5 wannabe and found that those window motors are often very week even at say 30 rpm. (don't get your hopes up. i have 1 arm joint done and it's horribly week and no programming is done)
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:36:49 AM »
I'm not sure if this is true any more, but to the last of my knowledge, Honda uses secret high strength high efficiency motors that they won't sell to anyone.

data_list