go away spammer

Author Topic: Wireless Data Transmission  (Read 2233 times)

Offline chrisjonesTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Wireless Data Transmission
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but was wondering if anyone could provide any input to an idea I've been pondering.

I am trying to come up with the basics of what is a wireless rowing telemetry system. The system will provide local data to the rower via a screen in the boat but I would like to be able to provide the data to a coach who could potentially be up to a few thousand metres away.

I am looking for a wireless solution that would be able to transmit the data from the boats to the coach, however I am looking for as long as possible on the range. I have considered using 3G but have a feeling that this would end up being too costly in the long run to be warranted. It is however still a possibility. WiFi was also another consideration but the range is no-where near long enough without using directional antennas which can't be used in this situation.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Wireless Data Transmission
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
what kind of range do you actually need? will there be a clear path of sight i.e. over water?

Offline Ibaeni

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
Xbee could be a good solution. There are several different models with different ranges. I'll provide some links to check the product out. I'm using it on a quadcopter I'm building. By combining xbee and bluetooth, any arduino device can be paired with the quadcopter over a much larger range than other products.

https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/xbee_guide

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
 :) Hello!
I would offer an opinion;
The WiFi is at a frequency of 2.4 Ghz, and related products are above
800 Mhz. In that range, the wattage is limited, and the characteristics of the
frequency is very direct. (path fading can occur)
You must have enough bandwidth to pass your data, and the wattage to deliver it,
without a terrible expendeture, and a frequency to accomodate the enviroment.
With this in mind, you can digitize data on a frequency of 150 Mhz, which may serve
your purpose. This frequency is used by amateur radio enthusiasts(Ham radio) in the
manner in which you are interested in. If you go professional, however, your cost will
rise signifigantly, as the licensure and other assorted issues. Good Luck!  ;D ;D ;D

Get Your Ad Here