Author Topic: Senior project idea  (Read 2049 times)

Offline DjamesDTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Senior project idea
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
Okay, here's the deal. I have an idea I'd' like to do for my senior project, but I need to get a robot going that will follow a pre-programmed route. Nothing major, just a couple of turns. I've made a couple BEAM 'bots, but never anything that required programming. Anyone got some good start-out advice?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Senior project idea
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
Read the SoR tutorials and articles.
Lots of good ideas there.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:45:00 AM »
yep, look at the "$50 robot tutorial" here on sor. it's the cheapest and most functional robot you can build and it looks really diy too so it doesn't look like you slapped a kit together. you can make it go on a preset path but i'd recommend you either make it line following or use sonar to avoid obstacles since it will save you more time and effor then if you make it do a series of turns. it may SEEM that just making it follow a certain set of instructions and then bringing the program to an end would be simple but you can make a line follower in just a few lines of code.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »
How long do you have to do this, and how much time per week would you be working on this?  If you're graduating in a month, you're going to be hard-pressed to finish this.
I

Offline DjamesDTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
I actually have quite a bit of time. Still have a few classes to knock out before I get to the senior project course. I would say another 4-5 months. It's a basic college ECT course. This is only a part of the project, but likely the most time consuming and difficult part.

Offline arrrrgon

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
The $50 robot does not take more than a month to complete.  It is however more like the $120 robot ;)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list