Author Topic: Automated Shower Control Concept?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline McHeiStyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Automated Shower Control Concept?
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
So before I get to the Autocad of things or come up with code or even buying the required parts, I wanted to discuss this idea here before I go any further.

The idea is to eventually control the shower from my smartphone (Or even just a computer wired into the RaspberryPI if I have to).

I know there are some on the market, but who wants to spend 2000 to do something that isn't as functional and costs 10-20 times more? Not me.

So... Any thoughts on this? I just wrote it up in like 5 mins, Im sure theres a better way of doing things. I'd love any suggestions.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:05:28 PM by McHeiSty »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Automated Shower Control Concept?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »
 :) Hello!
Interesting project.
I can not make out the flow diagram; if you could repost it in a PDF, or other format,
I could proceed to offer an opinion.
Any avenue that you  take, your will need to buy a control valve, the microcontroller,
the transmitter and reciever, and any software that may be needed.
Not alot,
but the practical does get your attention.
This is not unrelated to another post, where the individual was trying to get a servo to
turn a page on his Kindle. You could use the TX/RX that he is using, and use that in your
project. If you use a smartphone, you might have to aquire an app to interface to your home
desktop to achieve the results you want.
If you use the smartphone, an investment of time for apps will consume your time;
If you use a local RF TX/RX, an inventment of time for kits and such will be needed.
it might be wise to search on Youtube for people who have tried similar projects, which
may lead you to your ultimate goal; without the overexpendeture. Keep me posted....   ;D ;D ;D

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
 :) Hello!
I reviewed the posting of one of the forum supporters, Dawn Robotics.
They have a robot that can be driven by a phone. This could be the answer you are looking for.
If they can control a robot by a phone, the world is open to what you can do with their system.
keep me posted...... ;D ;D ;D

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
You will need some sort of control board for a stepper motor.

A geared dc motor would be easier to control, it isn't necessary to the position of your motor as the temperature sensor would provide the feedback. However you might want limit switches to prevent over rotating the valve, for any motorized design.

You could also look for an off the shelf electronically controlled valve. It would probably be much more reliable.

Offline Schlayer

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
Littlebits recently released a really simple bluetooth/internet connected bit called the CloudBit, which is very useful for projects like what you are describing. It would make it simple, from my understanding, to make something that can be activated from a phone trigger a solenoid valve or the like. This would also eliminate the necessity for an entire micro controller just for the one simple task.   
http://littlebits.cc/bits/cloudbit

Get Your Ad Here

data_list