Author Topic: Ohm's Law for Idiots  (Read 7112 times)

Offline _Moonbot_Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • It's...in...It's in...the box. IN THE BOX DOFUS!
Ohm's Law for Idiots
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
I'm new to robotics and was wondering if someone could explain Ohm's Law to me.   ???
The claw...

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: Ohm's Law for Idiots
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
ohms law basicly shows the relation between resistance, current and voltage. look at the wheel below

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

instead of E you can use V for voltage. by shifting arround a the ohms law calculation you can find current, voltage and resistance using any of the other 2 variables. If for instance you have a 1.5v battery with an unknown resistor.

you measure 0.00075 amps. with that info you could find out what the resistor is through the ohms law calculation R=E/I or R=1.5/0.00075. the answer is 2000 meaning you have a 2k resistor!
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
Ok, I hope You know Google, try pressing the link  ;D

Once I've read a nice explanation of Current, Voltage and Resistance is. It goes something along these lines.

If You compare electricity to Your house water system:
Voltage is a Water Pipe
Current is a Water Flow
Resistance is a Valve(or a tap)

Now, You can imagine that the bigger the Water Pipe the bigger Water Flow is.
Same with electricity, the bigger the Voltage, the more Current You can get.

If You have a Valve(or a tap) You can reduce Water Flow with it because size of the Water Pipe is reduced at that spot (if You get what I mean), hence with Resistance (Resistor) you can reduce Current by creating a Voltage drop at a certain spot in a circuit.

That's what Ohm's Law is about.

I - Current
V - Voltage
R - Resistance

I = V / R

V = I * R

R = V / I

There is a nice free simulation software called Yenka that has loads of useful and interactive examples on basic electronics.

Take care  :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
If You have a Valve(or a tap) You can reduce Water Flow with it because size of the Water Pipe is reduced at that spot (if You get what I mean), hence with Resistance (Resistor) you can reduce Current by creating a Voltage drop at a certain spot in a circuit.

That's not entirely accurate... The voltage drop is the consequence not the form factor... Resistance is the form factor... Or even better applied voltage at a closed circuit is the form factor...
Ohm's law says that the current is analogue to voltage applied in a close circuit of certain resistance... ;-)

That's more obvious if you know about non lineal components like diodes where there is always a voltage drop added to ohmic voltage drop...

Anyways, I'm just saying! That color example was a very nice writing!!! Keep it up mate ;-)
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
That's not entirely accurate... The voltage drop is the consequence not the form factor... Resistance is the form factor... Or even better applied voltage at a closed circuit is the form factor...
Yes , You are correct, voltage drop is a consequence of by resistance reduced current; I've expressed myself that way to make it easier to understand the basic concept.  ;)

Take care  :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Ricfy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:28:48 AM »
Hi all,

Anybody know how to convert the LDR OHM NSL 5520 the candela?

Get Your Ad Here