Author Topic: Check this thing out! Humanoid Robotic kit!  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Gordo4444Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Check this thing out! Humanoid Robotic kit!
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »
This thing is pretty neat. Not worth the money, in my opinion, though.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/8ff3/

It comes with "18 servos, a full motion editor and visual programming environment allow you to make the Bioloid interact with it's surroundings while performing complex movements that put other toy robots to shame."

It's really cool, but again, not worth the money.
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Kif: Yes, I programmed it in for you. Four million lines of BASIC!

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Re: Check this thing out! Humanoid Robotic kit!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

It comes with "18 servos, a full motion editor and visual programming environment allow you to make the Bioloid interact with it's surroundings while performing complex movements that put other toy robots to shame."

Why do you think it's not worth the money?

If you check this link out you'll see that Bioloid is a mid range priced humanoid robot. It may not be as impressive as others, but it has features no other has.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Gordo4444Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »

Why do you think it's not worth the money?

If you check this link out you'll see that Bioloid is a mid range priced humanoid robot. It may not be as impressive as others, but it has features no other has.

Couldnt you spend less money and but the parts, then program them yourself?
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Kif: Yes, I programmed it in for you. Four million lines of BASIC!

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
You may be right, but to be able to do that you need to be an experienced roboticist. I am sure I can build the parts and assemble the thing, but it will be something like Lynxmotion's humanoid robots. The cost of parts only could get up to about $300-500, depending on servo quality. To make a servo controller is not such a big deal, but to program the micro used for that to generate simultaneous moves with all servos is not so easy.

Now the Bioloid system features special serial I2C servos, more powerfull than on any other humanoids. They have a micro integrated in them able to provide feedback to the central micro, like position, load, temperature, speed. The serial speed runs at almost 1Mbps! And it has a nice servo controller based on ATmega128. I don't think you'll be able to replicate that. This is why I asked the question... If you would have said that for any other humanoid, I would have not commented it...

But it is true, you can build a humanoid robot with a $200-300 budget, a lot less that the Bioloid's $869 on the Trossen Robotics website.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
Its actually a good deal pricewise, considering what you get.

Compare it to the competition:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/humanoid-robot-kit.aspx