go away spammer

Author Topic: As a designer, How can I enter robotic?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Mills_WrightTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
As a designer, How can I enter robotic?
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
I'm currently a web designer specialized in overthinking stuff, I love robotic and the way we interact with robots as a new medium of human interactions. What should I do?

Since I don't own or have access to robots or people working in robotic, the perspective of speculative work seems irrelevant. Also, I don't have any background in robotic in term of engineering since I'm not and don't want to be an engineer.

How can I convey the need for a design process in the making of robots who will increasingly be a part of our lives (drones, self-driving car etc)? and find the right people who care about this?

thx you for your attention and have a good day!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: As a designer, How can I enter robotic?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »
Find a product that you think needs better design, and attempt to make contact with the makers (presumably with a proposal for a better design already.)
Personal-level robotics is still very much in its infancy. The problems are more "how can we do it *AT ALL*" rather than "how can we make it better?"

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
One area of robotics that often needs help is user interfaces. Often when we build robots the interface is one of the last things we make or we adapt the test/engineering interface into something that the users can use.

Some of the interfaces that I have seen are web-browser based. Displaying live data and allowing control of a robot are all things that can be done via a "web" interface. Also importantly is working with data from the robots, and a web interface lends itself well to this.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline lanca

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:57 AM »
Well, industrial robots are really getting bigger and bigger in terms of usage, forecast to hit 207,000 units by 2015: http://www.statista.com/topics/1476/industrial-robots/. You could try and do an internship in a company and "get your foot in the door", so to speak. Might provide a platform for greater involvements in robotics.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list