go away spammer

Author Topic: Beginner Robotics.  (Read 2254 times)

Offline XistansTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Beginner Robotics.
« on: February 15, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
Hello,

I'm an absolute beginner with robotics, and would like to make a serious start, but I'm not sure where to start, should I read books first? I want to buy the tools and parts I need, but I don't want to spend a lot of money, and then I can't use it..

Maybe someone can help me! :)

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
Re: Beginner Robotics.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
Where you should start is a very open ended question as we have no idea who you are and your background.  For example, do you have any experience programming?  Do you have any mechanical experience?

As a start take a look at the tutorials on this site.  Read through them see what you understand and what you don't, and then you have a basis to ask some more pointed questions about where to go from there.

I hope this helps.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
Start with the $50 robot tutorial on this site.

Offline gerard

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
watching videos and robot build logs is sometimes inspiring

Offline XistansTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
Where you should start is a very open ended question as we have no idea who you are and your background.  For example, do you have any experience programming?  Do you have any mechanical experience?

As a start take a look at the tutorials on this site.  Read through them see what you understand and what you don't, and then you have a basis to ask some more pointed questions about where to go from there.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! I do have some programming experience, but the problem is that I don't really have any experience with mechanics, I'm kinda afraid to spend too much money on mechanical stuff that I can't use, I believe the best way to learn how to build robots is by doing it, but I think that means I need to follow a safe and more simple tutorial, then I'll understand how everything works, and I maybe can try more stuff once I understood how everything works. Maybe I need some kit or something, I really don't know what the best way is to start.. Thank you though!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »
The $50 robot tutorial is a good start.
After that, perhaps a kit like the Bioloid kit would work, or a Phantom Mk II hexapod. They cost more, but contain servos and parts that are useful for many kinds of legged/armed robots.
An alternative might be a rover kit from parts from a series like Actobotics.

Get Your Ad Here