go away spammer

Author Topic: When are 14V to 24V batteries used?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline CompChemEngTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
When are 14V to 24V batteries used?
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
I'm wanting to buy a battery charger.  It's down to the Triton EQ vs. Triton2 EQ.  The first is about $70 cheaper and charges up to 14V while the second can charge up to 24V (for NiMH).

I don't currently have any batteries from 14 to 24V, but then again, I'm just starting.  If I'm going to end up getting such batteries, may as well shell out for the Triton2.  If there's little chance that I'll ever use them, may as well save the $70.  Any advice?

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: When are 14V to 24V batteries used?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
I'm not stalking you I promise.   :D :D

It all depends on the application.  

Remember though, you could put multiple 14V battery packs in series to get 28V, 42V etc.  So just because your charger is only rated for 14V doesn't mean you are limited to that in terms of battery packs.  Sure, it'd be a pain to charge, but that's a sacrifice you'd make.  

Most microcontrollers that we'd use run off of anywhere from 2-5V DC.  It's the other things in the circuit that would require more.  Like if you had DC motors that ran off of 12V or even 24V.  That's one of the times you'd need to have a battery pack rated that high.  

So, it depends on what you want to use it for.  I think you'd be fine with the cheaper one.  You can build some big robots on 12V power supplies.  (I mean think about cars!)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:30:28 PM by corrado33 »

Offline Mansoor

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
I am working on a project right now which will require strong audio output. in that case you will sometimes need something greater than 9 volts.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
The higher end Dynamixel servos (e.g. EX-106) are commonly powered with about 18V.  But those might be for more "powerful" projects than what you have in mind.

The IMAX B6 and TITAN B6 chargers (essentially identical to each other...) seem to be pretty much equivalent to the lesser of the two chargers you linked.  And you can get them waaayy cheaper (I bought mine on ebay.).  Look into those if you haven't :)
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »
Hi,

I am working on a project right now which will require strong audio output. in that case you will sometimes need something greater than 9 volts.
Is this the 15W Class-D amp you're thinking of?
If that's the case, you don't need "greater than 9V", as a 9V supply gives you close to 30W with your load impedance of 2.7 Ohm.
For 15W out, you need 6.3V plus what the output bridge drops - around 6.5V to 7.0V total depending on the R_ds_on of the output transistors (at 2.37A).

Back on topic...
Save the $70 unless you plan to use eg. 24V wheel chair motors... Or build your own charger with one of the many chips made for the purpose - then you decide how high the voltage can be  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list