Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Size mathers?

<< < (2/4) > >>

sotu:
I have a battery holder rooming 8 batterys on each side. With two plugs tapping the power.  I  also have one 6 V motor. Im wondering if the output of the power gives 1,5 V * 4 = 6 V OR 1,5 V * 8 = 12 V. Couse if i drive the 6 V EL motor for a while the batterys start getting a bit hot!

Admin:
the voltage would depend on if the batteries are in series (add voltages) or in parallel (same voltage)

nanob0t:

--- Quote from: Admin on April 17, 2007, 10:26:23 AM ---the voltage would depend on if the batteries are in series (add voltages) or in parallel (same voltage)

--- End quote ---

I have some interst in batteries now.  Usually I power my circuits from my dad's prototyping board thing that powers itself from the wall and I have fancy little knobs providing perfect power to the circuit.  Lately I have built a guitar amp and been working on a treaded robot that runs on 24 volts.  I understand wiring batteries in a series and they add their voltage, but how do you do parallel and what exactly does this do? 

I assume it's providing the same power outage to the object, they're just linked together to provide longer life? 

I am unclear about stuff about amps too.  I'm assuming again, that the amprage that is drawn from the batteries is regulated by the circuit first.  I understand voltage, but my dad can't explain amps.  Perhaps the components can only take a certain amprage, so that's all they draw?  Any help would be nice  :D

ed1380:
for parallel you connect + to + and - to -
Yes the batteries will last twice as long, if the power draw stays the same

It took me a long time to understand current/amps

sotu:
Ok okey so its best if + meets + and - meets -  and not + to - ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version