go away spammer

Author Topic: Good robot idea but building from scratch  (Read 2442 times)

Offline sneaky_transistorTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Good robot idea but building from scratch
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »
I'd like to build something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tD3dsDzbeg

Is this built from scratch rather than using a kit?

Problem is, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to the mechanical engineering of things. I've been looking for resources to learn only to find none on how to actually put the pieces together and understand which aluminum bracket is used for what.

I just need a couple of answers.

First, does anyone have any good resources online or in reading on how to actually build robots with metal components and on selecting the right size chassis based on these components? I would really appreciate it.

Another question, how long do you think it will take someone not well-verse in mechanics, like me, to build something like this?

And lastly, would I be able to make a quadripod similar to this, but that uses Arduino and can climb on walls using suction cups?

If you can answer, thank you so much.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:41:00 PM by sneaky_transistor »

Offline Jackson21

• Helpful? 0
Re: Good robot idea but building from scratch
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »
Woah mate,
this is a huuuuuge project. I would really, really recommend starting on something much simpler (like the $50 robot) and continue to mod and add to it. I'm a beginner to robotics as well, however I'm a technician by trade and I can tell you, you can learn a fair bit from mechanical engineering from books, and texts, however, best way to get to know your way around it is to do things. The robot you've mentioned as tons of different axis that its servos work off which would all have to be perfect aligned and mounted, etc, etc. There are a lot of number involved here. So, unless your really committed to do this as your first project, I'd say start on something smaller, the tutorials on this website should be more than enough to get you on your way and there's plenty of people on the forum with much more experience than I who would be happy too help you out (just make sure you search forum before asking). As for the suction cup idea, only numbers and simulation software could tell, but by my estimate, no it won't work.

Cheers,
Jacko
Malory: It's okay! They're just blanks.
Lana: Well, see, you say that ..
Malory: But they were blanks—weren't they?
Sterling: Only if the back of his skull picked that exact moment to explode outward.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
Another question, how long do you think it will take someone not well-verse in mechanics, like me, to build something like this?
4 to 6 years in a good university engineering program.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »
I think 4-6 years is an over-estimate. If you already know software development, and are using mostly off-the-shelf parts, and you have the resources (spare time, money,) I bet you can go from nothing to that robot in one year or so. If you also need to learn to make brackets (basic metalworking,) and solder, and such, add another year. If you also need to learn to program, add another year.

Note that it isn't particularly rigid, for example -- all the pieces have quite significant bow and flex, and movements are not smooth. Solving those parts would be much harder. If you have already built other kinds of robots, and have sufficient time, I think it could be done a lot faster than that, even, but that's not the question here :-)

The best way to go from "haven't built anything" to "that robot" probably starts with the $50 robot, or some simple project like that, so the advice in this thread is solid.

Offline sneaky_transistorTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
Thanks everyone, for the info.

I actually do have time constraints, I have a couple of months honestly.
My idea will still be to create a climbing robot, but I will have to go with a different design.

Offline roborobot123

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
There are a couple options out there for beginners with no robot building experience. Here is a video of a transforming robot (not as capable as the robot in the video you shared) which might show what is possible. It uses the EZ-Robot Developers Kit.
http://youtu.be/_G1kMet9cig

As the others mentioned, it might be a good idea to start with a more basic kit to learn about how robots work, and then move on to something more powerful :)

Get Your Ad Here