Author Topic: INFRARED SENSORS  (Read 1656 times)

Offline RManthaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
INFRARED SENSORS
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
Hey all!

How are you all?

I am building a robot for the first time . It has to be a sumo robot and I have to push my opponent out of a ring . I have planned our how I would like to protect my robot from IR sensors( Light absorbing material- Black paint -roughly painted )and Ultrasonic sensors ( use of sound absorbing material -open celled foam that is uneven and pointed ) and various defence strategies (both attack and defence) .

But what about the other way around? I mean if my opponent has all that protection how would I detect my opponent if I used IR sensor or Ultrasonic sensors ?

I was reading about how IR sensors measure different distances for different colours? Could you please help me with the theory behind this? If it is black is the distance larger / smaller? and what about if it is white?

Also , What about ultrasonic sensors- If I decided to use that as one of my sensors and my opponent has covered his/her robot entirely with foam then how could I detect my opponent?

Thank you so much ,
Waiting for your reply!

RMantha

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: INFRARED SENSORS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
Hi,

But what about the other way around? I mean if my opponent has all that protection how would I detect my opponent if I used IR sensor or Ultrasonic sensors ?
Same way as the other-other way around ;)

If you make yourself invisible and the opponent does the same, either none of you can do a thing about it, or you can both see each other by other means, but then none of you are invisible after all... IOW, what you can do, so can he - pure logic so quit whining about it and spend your energy in making your 'bot as good as your abilities allow, mechanically, electronically and programmatically and be prepared to loose every now and then - it's very rare to see a beginners first 'bot turn out to be a win-all :)

I was reading about how IR sensors measure different distances for different colours?
Always post a link to what you need clarification on.

Could you please help me with the theory behind this? If it is black is the distance larger / smaller? and what about if it is white?
It's a matter of how much light is reflected and only valid for sensors that rely on the amount of reflected light to guess distance - they're crappy at best - if you want something that is fairly precise, no matter the color of the target, use a Position Sensing Device (PSD) - Sharp makes a number of PSDs with different detection ranges.

Also , What about ultrasonic sensors- If I decided to use that as one of my sensors and my opponent has covered his/her robot entirely with foam then how could I detect my opponent?
Again... Just like the other way around.
If your opponent use active detection, transmitting IR, US or whateverjust use that as a beacon (just like he's gonna do to you ;D).
Most Sumos (all?) will at least have IR for detecting the "edge", so if that isn't too hidden underneath it, just make a very sensitive IR receiver and aim for the light.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

data_list